Top World News

'Made my mouth drop open': Expert 'astonished' as Trump lawyer makes courtroom admission

In a Maryland court on Friday, the Justice Department dropped what one lawyer called a jaw-dropping claim. The DOJ faced off against lawyers for an immigrant that the administration has admitted was mistakenly sent to an El Salvador prison.Kilmar Armando Abrego Garcia, a Maryland dad who had protected legal status, was sent to the notorious Central American prison under the accusation that he had gang ties, the Associated Press reported on April 1. The Trump administration has since said there was an administrative error and he should not have been deported — but it claims it's powerless to bring him back.ALSO READ: https://www.rawstory.com/raw-investigates/john-roberts-has-created-a-monster-and-he-knows-it/As both sides debated, the judge asked the DOJ lawyer why the U.S. couldn't get Abrego Garcia back. "I will say for the court's awareness that when this case landed on my desk, the first thing I did was ask my client the same question," the DOJ lawyer answered, according to notes recorded by NBC reporters in the courtroom. "And then he says this," Rubin continued, "which made my mouth drop open. 'I have not yet received an answer that I find satisfactory."Rubin said that hearing a government lawyer "essentially say, my client isn't telling me the full and complete truth, or my client isn't providing me with information that I find satisfactory enough to give to you, judge, is an extraordinarily telling moment by a career civil servant having served in the Department of Justice for 15 years. These guys are playing games with me, too, your honor. And I was astonished to see that."The judge then granted the motion for a preliminary injunction. "That means, at least ... based on the plaintiff's application, that the government has to at least request that Mr. Abrego Garcia be returned and that the government demand that it get back its money for Mr. Abrego Garcia being held in Salvadoran custody," clarified Rubin.The judge ruled that the government must bring Abrego Garcia back to the U.S. by Monday.See the clip below or at the link here. - YouTube www.youtube.com

ArticleImg
Federal judge orders return of Maryland man mistakenly deported to El Salvador prison

White House has said US courts can’t order return of Kilmar Abrego Garcia, whose wife has been protesting outside courtA federal judge on Friday afternoon ordered the US to return a Maryland man mistakenly deported to an El Salvador prison after a Trump administration attorney was at a loss to explain what happened.The wife of the man, who was flown to a notorious Salvadoran prison had earlier joined dozens of supporters at a rally before a court hearing on Friday, where his lawyers had asked the judge – Paula Xinis – to order the Trump administration to return him to the US. Continue reading...

'I lost people!' MAGA senator's 'fuhrer' insult leaves Chuck Schumer sick

The Senate's top Democrat expressed his outrage to CNN after a Republican senator called him a "fuhrer," a German term meaning "leader" that's commonly associated with Nazi leader Adolf Hitler. Sen. Bernie Moreno (R-OH) told reporters, "Republicans are independently minded. Democrats are monolithic sheep that follow the Fuhrer Schumer's orders." "Moreno, who was elected in November, made the comment to reporters outside the Senate chamber as members of his caucus struggled to agree on a path forward to try to pass President Donald Trump's sweeping tax-cut agenda," reported The Columbus Dispatch. CNN's Dana Bash asked what Schumer's reaction was to "being called a fuhrer by a fellow senator?" "Vicious, nasty, and antisemitic, plain and simple," Schumer answered. "You know, I'm the highest Jewish ranking official in America, and I lost people — lots of people — to the Holocaust, to this vicious man, Hitler, who killed six million Jews." ALSO READ: 'The Hard Reset': Here's how the U.S. is exporting terrorism around the world Schumer continued, "[Moreno] ought to renounce his own comments. But where are the Republicans in denouncing this vicious anti-semitism? It is so brutal, especially to those of us who have lost someone, and many in my family, to that horrible man, Hitler." Schumer recently published a book titled "Antisemitism in America: A Warning," but canceled the planned book tour out of concern for his safety after he joined with Republicans to pass their spending bill.Donald Trump backed Moreno in the Ohio Republican Senate primary and Moreno has shown his loyalty ever since.According to The Dispatch, "Already, Moreno has made immigration a top priority. He introduced legislation to restrict asylum for migrants and sanction countries that don't accept deportation flights. He also railed against the Biden administration's border policies during confirmation hearings for Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem."Moreno's comments about Schumer were denounced on social media.Punchbowl News' Jake Sherman posted to X, "Ohio Sen. Bernie Moreno calls top Democrat Chuck Schumer 'Fuhrer'. Moreno's grandchild is Jewish," while BulwarkOnline Senior Editor Jim Swift wrote, "Bernie Moreno is a disgrace to Ohio."Watch the video below or at this link.

ArticleImg
Israel restarts ground operations in northern Gaza Strip in renewed campaign

At least 25 killed in attack on Khan Younis in south as Israel says it is aiming to pressure Hamas into releasing hostagesIsrael has restarted ground operations in the northern Gaza Strip and killed at least 25 people in airstrikes on the southern city of Khan Younis in what it says is a renewed military campaign aimed at pressuring Hamas into releasing Israeli hostages.At least 25 people were killed in the attack on Khan Younis early on Friday, the local Nasser hospital told AFP, as the search for survivors continued. Continue reading...

Trump personally chose the 'mocked formula' used to determine tariffs: reporter

President Donald Trump personally selected the formula that the U.S. government will use to determine the percentage of reciprocal tariff to be implemented on a country, territory, or island, according to a Friday report. The Washington Post's Jeff Stein wrote that numerous aides at the National Economic Council, Council of Economic Advisers, Commerce Department, and the Office of the United States Trade Representative confirmed the president made the decision himself. "The now widely-mocked formula" was part of a weeks-long effort "crafting country-specific tariffs that took into account a broad range of tariff and non-tariff barriers," said Stein.ALSO READ: 'We’ve made a mistake': Trump’s trade war sends GOP into frenzyThe report cited several sources who said that there were "more sophisticated approaches" that Trump could have picked. "I can't confirm precisely who authored the one Trump picked, but it bears striking similarities to methods previously backed publicly by Peter Navarro, the ultra-trade hawk," Stein posted on X. Trump promised Americans that the trade percentages would be reciprocal, a White House fact sheet from February confirmed.“If they charge us, we charge them,’’ the president said in February while announcing a new wave of tariffs on steel and aluminum imports. “If they’re at 25, we’re at 25. If they’re at 10, we’re at 10. And if they’re much higher than 25, that’s what we are too.’’On Thursday, Trump repeated that sentiment: "They charge us; we charge them. We charge them less. So, how can anyone be upset?"But his tariff formula relied on a simplistic approach of dividing the U.S. trade deficit with a country by its exports to the U.S., rather than calculating actual tariff rates. The resulting numbers rattled global markets, disrupted supply chains, and threatened to escalate trade wars with key U.S. allies and trading partners.Peter Draper, professor and executive director of the Institute for International Trade and international trade lecturer Vutha Hing, at the University of Adelaide, wrote for The Conversation that the Trump tariffs were not reciprocal as he indicated they would be.The "Trump administration hasn’t directly matched specific foreign tariffs. Instead, they’ve opted for a crude formula based on bilateral trade deficits between the U.S. and each specific country. Those aren’t the same things," they explained.The Dow Jones fell more than 1,000 points on Thursday and Friday, the Wall Street Journal confirmed. Still, the concerns are inconsequential to Trump, one staffer told the Post. “He’s at the peak of just not giving a f--- anymore,” the official who knew Trump’s thinking told the Post. “Bad news stories? Doesn’t give a f---. He’s going to do what he’s going to do. He’s going to do what he promised to do on the campaign trail.”Read the full report here.